Television & Radio
Great British Railway Journeys
In 2010, John worked as an advisor on Michael Portillo's documentary series 'Great British Railway Journeys'. He was involved, on episode 22 of the second series ("Dumbarton to Tyndrum"), for his intimate knowledge of the Loch Lomond section of the West Highland Line.
The episode was shown by BBC 2 on the 1st of February, 2011.
As well as being a talented author, John also makes occasional radio and television appearances. Most notably:
- - BBC 1: 'Up Country' and 'Landward'.
- - BBC 2: 'Tracks (Walking the West Highland Way)'.
- - STV: 'Weather Forecasts' with Ros Taylor.
- - Channel 4: 'Shepherd at Christmas' with Lorraine Kelly.
Let us not, of course, forget his skills as a shepherd. John's many activities in this area include:
- - Competitor and winner at sheepdog trials.
- - Designing a course in Sheepdog Handling and Management for the Scottish Qualifications Authority.
- - Giving sheepdog demonstrations throughout the UK, including the Glasgow and Stoke-on-Trent Garden Festivals.
- - Judging sheep throughout Europe since 2005, including the Royal Highland Show.
The Stirling Story
John was involved in the making of 'The Stirling Story' - A CD-ROM produced by Stirling Council to mark the new Mellenium.
In John's own words, he "...was the token shepherd archiving the three most important things, dog, cromach (crook) and boots!"